Stephen Colbert Goes To Art Therapy

YOU KNOW, FOLKS, IT FEELS LIKE
ALL I DO ON THIS SHOW IS TALK ABOUT PEOPLE IN THE TRUMP
ADMINISTRATION. BUT THAT IS NOT TRUE. SOMETIMES, I TALK ABOUT PEOPLE
ASSOCIATED WITH THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION. FOR INSTANCE, KAREN PENCE. AS THE WIFE OF THE VICE
PRESIDENT, SHE IS OUR COUNTRY’S SECOND LADY– NOT TO BE CONFUSED
WITH THE PRESIDENT’S SECOND LADY, STORMY DANIELS. ( LAUGHTER )
AND IN HER ROLE AS SECOND LADY, KAREN PENCE HAS CHOSEN TO
CHAMPION THE CAUSE OF ART THERAPY, WHICH IS MENTAL HEALTH
THERAPY USING ART MATERIALS. IT MAKES SENSE. WE ALL KNOW ARTISTS ARE THE
EPITOME OF MENTAL HEALTH. I MEAN, VAN GOGH WAS SO
COMFORTABLE IN HIS SKIN THAT HE DECIDED TO CUT OFF SOME OF IT
AND GIVE IT AWAY. WELL, EVER SINCE THE ELECTION,
I’VE FELT LIKE I COULD USE A BIT OF THERAPY. SO TO FIND OUT MORE, I SAT DOWN
WITH LICENSED ART THERAPIST RACHEL BRANDOFF BECAUSE, UNLIKE
MIKE PENCE, I’M ALLOWED TO BE IN A ROOM ALONE WITH A WOMAN. JIM? >> Stephen: WHAT IS ART THERAPY? >> ART THERAPY IS A MENTAL
HEALTH PROFESSION. WE EMPLOY THE CREATIVE PROCESS
AS A WAY OF HELPING PEOPLE WORK THROUGH ISSUES, INCREASE
SELF-AWARENESS, HELP THEM TO ACHIEVE WHATEVER GOALS THAT
THEY’RE SEEKING TO WORK ON IN THERAPY. >> Stephen: IN WHAT WAYS DOES
ART THERAPY HELP AN INDIVIDUAL WHO PRESENTLY, SAY, CAN’T SLEEP
BECAUSE HE OR SHE IS HAUNTED BY THE IDEA THAT A MYRIAD OF LONG-
ESTABLISHED NORMS HAVE BEEN FLOUTED BY PEOPLE IN POWER, AND
THEY ARE SLOWLY CHIPPING AWAY AT WHAT WE BELIEVE ARE THE
STANDARDS OF MORALS AND ETHICS, NOT ONLY IN OUR GOVERNMENT, BUT
IN OUR DAILY LIVES, TO SUCH A DEGREE THAT THERE’S A WOUND ON
THE PSYCHE AND THE SOUL ON AMERICA IN WHICH WE MAY NEVER
RECOVER? ( LAUGHTER )
HOW WOULD YOU– HOW WOULD YOU ADDRESS SOMETHING LIKE THAT? >> I MIGHT ASK A CLIENT TO DRAW
A PICTURE OF HOW THEY’RE FEELING TODAY. I MIGHT ASK A CLIENT TO CREATE A
PICTURE OF A BRIDGE AND PUT THEMSELVES SOMEWHERE ON IT. ( LAUGHTER )
>> CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE YOU ARE ON THIS BRIDGE? >> Stephen: I USED TO BE ON THE
BRIDGE. I JUMPED OFF THE BRIDGE. ( LAUGHTER )
>> SO YOU’RE NO LONGER ON THE BRIDGE? >> Stephen: NO LONGER ON THE
BRIDGE. I WAS ON THE BRIDGE FOR A WHILE,
AND THEN I THOUGHT ABOUT IT AND I THOUGHT, (BLEEP). >> WELL THAT WASN’T PART OF THE
INSTRUCTION. >> Stephen: NO, IT WASN’T, BUT
YOU KNOW WHAT? I WENT WITH MY FEELINGS RATHER
THAN WHAT YOU THINK IS RIGHT. >> OKAY, GOOD, CREATIVE LICENSE. >> Stephen: SECOND LADY KAREN
PENCE HAS CLAIMED ART THERAPY AS HER AREA OF FOCUS. DO YOU THINK THAT SHE’LL DO JUST
AS GOOD OF A JOB AT CHAMPIONING ART THERAPY AS MELANIA HAS AT
CHAMPIONING ANTI-CYBER BULLYING? >> A VERY LARGE CONTINGENT OF
ART THERAPISTS ARE VERY ANGRY THAT SHE HAS APPOINTED HERSELF
AS SPOKESPERSON FOR THE FIELD. >> Stephen: YEAH. IS SHE, HERSELF, AN ART
THERAPIST? >> SHE IS NOT. SHE IS AN ART EDUCATOR, AND SHE
IS AN ARTIST. >> Stephen: HAVE YOU SEEN HER
STUFF? >> I’VE SEEN SOME OF IT ONLINE. >> Stephen: DO YOU LIKE IT? DO YOU LIKE IT? >> SHE’S TECHNICALLY VERY
PROFICIENT. >> Stephen: WOW, THAT IS DAMNING
WITH FAINT PRAISE. “HOW DID YOU LIKE YOUR MEAL?”
TECHNICALLY, THIS IS FOOD.” DO YOU THINK PRESIDENT TRUMP
HIMSELF MIGHT BENEFIT FROM SOME ART THERAPY? >> I THINK HE COULD ABSOLUTELY
BENEFIT FROM THERAPY. ALTHOUGH, THERE IS A LIMIT TO
HOW MUCH YOU COULD DO THAT WITH SOMEBODY WHO’S NOT WILLING TO BE
SELF-REFLECTIVE. >> Stephen: NOT WILLING TO LOOK
AT THEMSELVES. >> YEAH. >> Stephen: DO YOU THINK THAT’S
WHY HE ALWAYS WEARS MAKEUP, BECAUSE HE ACTUALLY DOESN’T WANT
TO SEE HIS OWN FACE? IS THAT A FORM OF ART THE WAY HE
PAINTS HIS FACE EVERYDAY? >> I’M GUESSING HE HAS SOMEBODY
ELSE DO IT, AND THAT PERSON IS PROBABLY AN ARTIST. >> Stephen: OR BLIND. BECAUSE IT’S NOT SPREAD VERY
EVENLY. MMMM, THAT LOOKS LIKE THAT’S
MAKEUP DONE BY SENSE OF SOUND. ( LAUGHTER )
>> CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THIS PICTURE IS ABOUT? >> Stephen: THIS IS ME IN MY
HAPPY PLACE. ( LAUGHTER )
THIS IS ME JUST CALMING DOWN AT THE END OF THE DAY. THIS ONE’S CALLED, “NOT NOW. DADDY’S DRINKING.” >> IS THIS SOMETHING THAT YOU
FEEL ALL THE TIME? >> Stephen: YES, YES. WELL, ONLY WHEN I’M DRINKING. >> OKAY. >> Stephen: SO, YES, ALL THE
TIME. LET ME TRY– LET ME TRY THAT
AGAIN, OKAY? >> IS THIS A PICTURE OF YOU? >> Stephen: THIS IS ME. THIS IS WHEN I’M FEELING COOL. ( LAUGHTER )
IS BOB ROSS AN ART THERAPIST? BECAUSE WATCHING HIM IS
INCREDIBLY RELAXING. >> BOB ROSS IS DEAD. ( LAUGHTER )
BUT, NO, HE WAS NOT AN ART THERAPIST. >> Stephen: HOLD ON, HOLD ON
( LAUGHTER ) DID YOU GUYS KNOW THAT? DID YOU KNOW THAT BOB ROSS IS
DEAD? I JUST WATCHED HIM LAST NIGHT. ( LAUGHTER )
>> HE IS VERY ENTERTAINING. >> Stephen: HOW DID HE DIE? WAS IT MURDER? >> I’M NOT SURE, ACTUALLY. >> Stephen: YOU DON’T KNOW. >> NO, I DO NOT KNOW. >> Stephen: SO IT COULD BE
MURDER. >> THAT’S ONE POSSIBILITY. >> Stephen: DO YOU 18 BRING UP
THE KATH DEATH OF PEOPLE’S HEROE YOUR THERAPY? >> NO, BUT I DON’T AVOID IT,
EITHER. >> Stephen: WHAT’S THE GOAL OF
ART THERAPY? >> ART IS A WAY OF CONNECTING TO
OUR UNCONSCIOUS. WE CAN MANIFEST THINGS IN ART
THAT WE SOMETIMES ARE NOT EVEN AWARE ARE THERE. >> Stephen: I DON’T REMEMBER
MAKING THIS ONE. BUT I EVIDENTLY GOT UP IN THE
MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT AND JUST PUT ALL THESE SYMBOLS ON THE WALL IN
OUR LIVING ROOM. AND THE NEXT MORNING I GOT UP,
AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT ANY OF IT MEANS, BUT MY CAT IS MISSING. >> HOW DO YOU FEEL WHEN LOOK AT
THOSE SYMBOLS NOW? >> Stephen: UHHH, MYSTIFIED. I HEAR A VOICE CALLING FROM
BEYOND THE WALL AND TELLING ME NOW IS THE TIME AND BLOOD IS THE
KEY. AND I DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT
MEANS. ( LAUGHTER )
>> WHAT DOES THAT VOICE SOUND LIKE? IS IT A FAMILIAR VOICE? >> Stephen: IF A CAT WERE A
HUMAN, LIKE, “NOW IS THE TIME. BLOOD IS THE KEY. STEPHEN, PROTECT YOURSELF.” ( LAUGHTER )
IF COPS CAME TO YOU AND SAID, “WE WANT TO SEE HIS ART,” COULD
YOU DENY THEM MY ART? IS THERE A CONFIDENTIALITY HERE? >> ABSOLUTELY. >> Stephen: SO IF A COPY SAID,
“WE WANT TO SEE THE PICTURE OF HIS ART, OKAY, BECAUSE ALL THE
CATS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD ARE MISSING,” WOULD YOU HAVE TO SHOW
THEM MY ART, OR WOULD YOU SAY, “NO, THAT’S COVERED UNDER, YOU
KNOW, ARTIST/THERAPIST CONFIDENTIALITY.” >> WELL, THAT’S A LIMIT TO
CONFIDENTIALITY. IF I HAD A REASON TO BELIEVE
THAT YOU WERE TO HARM YOURSELF OR ANOTHER PERSON, THEN I WOULD
HAVE TO REPORT IT. >> Stephen: SO YOU’RE LIKE ALL
THE OTHERS? >> ALL THE OTHER THERAPISTS THAT
WOULD ALSO HAVE TO REPORT IT? >> Stephen: NO, ALL THE ONES
WHO’VE BETRAYED ME. OUR HOUR WAS UP, AND IT WAS TIME
FOR MY DIAGNOSIS. SHOOT FROM THE HIP, DON’T THINK. WHAT’S MY MENTAL PROBLEM? >> I THINK THAT YOU’RE DEALING
WITH A LOT OF ADJUSTMENT ISSUES IN TERMS OF YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT
THE GOVERNMENT AND THE ELECTION, THE WAY OUR COUNTRY IS HEADED
RIGHT NOW. >> Stephen: I DON’T KNOW WHAT
SHE WAS TALKING ABOUT. I AM PERFECTLY ADJUSTED AND IN
NO WAY OBSESSED. GOOD LUCK, KAREN PENCE. ART THERAPY IS STUPID. ( CHEERS AND APPLAUSE )
>> Stephen: OKAY, FOR THE RECORD– FOR THE RECORD, FOR THE
RECORD, I LOVE MY CAT. ALSO, ART THERAPY IS NOT STUPID. I WAS JUST WORKING THROUGH SOME
ISSUES. IN FACT, WE’RE GOING TO AUCTION
OFF THE ARTWORK THAT I MADE THAT DAY. AND THE PROCEEDS WILL GO TO THE
AMERICAN ART THERAPY ASSOCIATION, OR TO HIRE A
DETECTIVE TO INVESTIGATE BOB ROSS’ MURDER. GO TO ColbertLateShow.com FOR
DETAILS.

100 comments

  1. I can't remember the last time I've laughed this hard. I want Stephen Colbert Goes to Art Therapy to be a weekly segment.

  2. Art therapy is a pretty good and useful tool. Funny clip though. Also we do not bring up Bob ross is dead 😢

  3. They raised nearly $20K for the American Art Therapy Association. Art therapy is very helpful in understanding yourself.

  4. Hi there,
    I'm reaching out to ask for your support for the "Student Debt Help" fundraiser on Generosity.
    There are a few ways to help:
    1. Donate – Everything helps. Even small donations have a big impact.
    2. Post to Facebook – The more people who hear about us, the more likely we are to meet our target.
    3. Share with your community – Call your friends, tell your co-workers, make an announcement at your organization's event to spread the word.
    Generosity has zero platform fees, so your donation goes farther to help us reach our goal.
    Thank you!
    https://www.generosity.com/education-fundraising/student-debt-help

  5. Nice drawings..I think I need to try Art Therapy instead of going to my shrink and making videos on here . LOL

  6. As an art therapy grad student…. this appears to be more of a political rant than actual art therapy information.

  7. Colberts circle is amazing! It's perfect & it was easy for him to just casually do it. That's consistent with his intellect, quick wit & personality.
    (((no secret, I love this guy. But, NOT in the "I want to have him" way!!))) 💞🇨🇦🙋😊

  8. It makes me uncomfortable knowing how much this profession struggles to validate itself in the mental health profession… and this guy torn it apart within minutes with thousands of viewers. Nonetheless she allowed herself and her profession to me mocked. Very frustrating. What does AATA have to say to this misrepresentation?

  9. Oh Lord, this was just too damn funny! Shit made me cry laugh! Thank God for Colbert because laughter just makes the world a better place!!

  10. My grandmother used to be a waitress, and Bob Ross always came to her restaurant. She served him food many times, and has an autograph of his. She said that he was always very nice and was very well mannered. Rest in peace, Bob Ross. You had a great life and helped so many people. My Grandma misses you.

  11. Art therapists have licenses? I guess that legitimizes the claims they make of being artistic even if they are not too good. Do they go by Dr. Art?

  12. There are not enough hours in a night that an artist can work through the wounds since they spend the whole night getting ideas of things to make which leaves little time for woundiness

  13. Just because she doesn't have a license, she is the first lady and deserves to be called Dr or even Queen, for that matter. The first lady commands what she will be called and who she will allow to call it, bitches. I'm not referring to the second lady either.

  14. Hey, is that snoopy with a big nose? Is that the only shape you can draw? Or is that the only art you will show the public?

  15. Like Van Gogh, he also used a matte knife only he used it to tighten a screw on an electric plate and well…….you know the rest.

  16. You should have gotten a patent for that wall art before you showed it to the world. Now look what you've done. Perfect screen saver.

  17. When my cat sounded like that it was louder and more scarier cause I stepped on her and she shrieked in pain and then died. I never told anyone about this before. Your art must've calmed me to trust both of you to tell my story.

  18. Confidentiality has been eliminated in the art world, the medical field, and the retail profession. (Don't tell anyone I told you, or I'll have to kill you)

  19. Don't you know you can't eat play doh without a big cold glass of milk? Don't tell anyone I told you. It's confidential.

  20. She played this way too straight.
    She should have answered his first question with “okay, have you tried fingerpainting?”

  21. STEPHEN You are an alcoholic and you don't want to be, but there's nothing you can do to change it. Not all the prayers to your god, not all the analysis you can buy in all the years you've got left to live. 
    You may one day be able to know the total abstinence life if you want it desperately enough….but you'll always be an alcoholic as well. Always… always. Until the day you die. 
    …and if you both drink and smoke U will need to understand that there is a direct connection between the liquor buds in your mouth and the smoke pouch in your lungs and that if U want to stop smoking…  the doctors are going to have to physically cut that thing between your smoke bone and your drink bone and if they do that, your head will fall off!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U834J4MK-e4

  22. If a cat were a human saying "now is the time blood is the key!" Ooohhh man, laughing so hard!!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂😂

  23. I think all of us of a certain age can remember watching Bob Ross because it was the best thing to watch and incredibly calming.

  24. Karen has white skin and black bangs. Why am I not surprised to hear she’s wants to use art for therapy?

  25. Bob ross died of cancer. It is quiet odd that he is probably more famous postmortem then he ever was while he was high as a fucking pretty little cloud up here.

  26. Honestly in some way all art is therapy. Many people struggle with expressing how they feel inside and bottle there shit up so having a creative outlet like singing,dancing,drawing,painting, craftsmanship of any kind or even something as simply as writing in a journal commonly keeps so much stress off peoples back that it saves lives. Find something you enjoy to better express your feelings because stress can be a bitch. No, I'm not saying you can replace a licensed professional with a hobby you lunatic still go there. Everyone should go to a therapist in my opinion. The stigma of it being only for crazy people seems quite childish in nature. We are all quite crazy. It's emotional vulnerability that is feared not something as meaningless as the concept of being somewhat against the norm of society from a mental or emotional stand point because we are all unique fucked up creatures doing our best to find our own semblance of happiness in this life before we eventually die a meaningless death. 🙂 Just don't make the mistake I made as a child when it comes to therapists. They are quite worthless and even detrimental if you don't actually communicate your problems for a decade of my childhood i was misdiagnosed simply because I was unwilling to open up. Not that I am anywhere near similar to that now. I simply don't have any bottled up things anymore. I'm 100% a open book to everyone 🙂

    -I would like to have some pie now.

  27. I confess, I killed Bob Ross. With hair like that , you deserve to be dead. No I take that back, you need to be put out of you misery.

  28. just wondered if she was really a therapist or an actor playing one for Stephen's therapy session or maybe she's just a funny person

  29. is Stephen Colbert and his writing team the greatest of all time ??? YES!….. with respect to Seth Meyers and his writing team respectively second…. then Johnny Carson.

  30. Bob Ross died from cancer
    Oil paints are a magical medium, but please use care.
    If you're going to try oil painting, please have adequate ventilation (ideally an open window and a small fan) and if you're going to use your fingertips the way he sometimes did, please consider latex or nitrile gloves. Oil paint should not be on your skin.
    Any rags that have thinner on them are combustible, and should be stored in an airtight jar or disposed of in a trashcan not stored directly against your home.
    Love,
    An art instructor

  31. You could use art therapy to visualize the garbled words you used with the art therapist to confuse her, and draw images of the rage you feel towards anyone associated with tRump. When finished, spank yourself three times with your paper for acting an asshole, I do not think your jokes worked this time. While I also feel rage towards the policies of Trump, making fun of art therapy is a low blow to the profession, which is one of helping, compassion, creativity and self expression. it has helped chi,Daren, adults, and would be a good first step for helping the kids in Trump’s cages, along with the toothpaste, soap and decent food they need. You made fun of art therapy until the very end. Now, I know you can be more creative than you were with this skit.

  32. I can diagnose you Stephen… no training necessary on my part: One hilarious host who is helping Americans ( and others) get through the Trump Era, with humor and even some real info. Therapy session terminated – no more work required!

  33. #DICKTATERDRUMPF CAGED CHILDREN LIKE HITLER DID A YEAR BEFORE WE FOUND OUT. SESSIONS WILL BE JAILED. #IMPEACHTRUMP

Leave a Reply

(*) Required, Your email will not be published